Malaysia’s communications regulator ordered TikTok on Thursday to take immediate remedial measures over offensive and defamatory content targeting the country’s monarchy, after an account purporting to be linked to King Sultan Ibrahim was used to spread material the watchdog said was unacceptable.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission said TikTok must strengthen its moderation policies and provide a formal explanation for failing to block content it described as grossly offensive, false, menacing and insulting. The material included AI-generated videos and manipulated images, and the regulator said its earlier notifications had produced an unsatisfactory response.
The move lands in a country where speech seen as encouraging hatred or contempt toward the royal family can be punished under a sedition law passed in 1948. Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy, and the regulator said online platforms should uphold their responsibilities in maintaining a safe, secure and respectful online environment. The action against TikTok fits into a broader push by the government to tighten control over social media, including a law passed last year that is being prepared for enforcement against social media use by under-16s.
The episode also follows a wider pattern of scrutiny over online platforms in Malaysia. In January, the same regulator briefly blocked access to the AI assistant Grok after backlash over sexually explicit images generated without consent, underscoring how quickly digital tools can collide with the country’s rules on content and public standards.
For TikTok, the immediate issue is compliance, but the wider test is how much room global platforms have in Malaysia when the line between moderation failure and public offense is being drawn more aggressively. The regulator has made clear that content it sees as threatening public order will not be left to linger unchecked.

