President Donald Trump said on Thursday that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a sharp new commitment that came just a week after the Pentagon cancelled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to the country.
Trump said on Truth Social that the decision was based on the US's relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki. He did not say whether the new troops were part of the earlier planned deployment or a separate operation.
The announcement lands at a moment when the White House has signalled it wants to trim overall US troop levels in Europe as part of its America First agenda. Earlier this month, Washington also announced it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany after a row between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over the war with Iran.
That broader shift makes the Poland decision harder to read. The Pentagon's cancellation of the 4,000-troop deployment had already been described by Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth as only a temporary delay, and he later said the US will continue to ensure it retains a strong military presence in Poland.
Trump's move also carries a clear political edge. Nawrocki won Poland's presidential election after receiving Trump's endorsement, and in January he told the 's Radio 4 Today programme that Trump is the only world leader capable of stopping Vladimir Putin and ending the war in Ukraine.
For now, the central question is not whether Poland will get a stronger US military footprint, but whether the extra 5,000 troops are genuinely new or simply a reshuffling of forces already meant to move through Europe. Trump gave no further details, and that ambiguity leaves the announcement somewhere between reinforcement and retreat.

