Reading: Thomas Massie faces Pentagon-backed challenge as Hegseth hits Kentucky trail

Thomas Massie faces Pentagon-backed challenge as Hegseth hits Kentucky trail

Published
4 min read
Advertisement

Defense Secretary did something no sitting chief is known to have done before: he campaigned for a congressional candidate. He appeared with in Kentucky on Monday, one day before the commonwealth’s primary election, and urged voters to back Gallrein over longtime Republican congressman .

Hegseth said he was there in a personal capacity as a private citizen, not as an administration official, even as he used the stage to make the case that Republicans needed reinforcements aligned with President ’s agenda. The Pentagon said no taxpayer dollars were used for the visit.

The appearance mattered not just because of who was on the ballot, but because of when it happened. The U.S. was in its 12th week of war in Iran, and Trump later posted to social media that he had postponed a planned attack on Iran set for Tuesday after Hegseth’s appearance. That backdrop gave the Kentucky event a far larger weight than a routine primary stop.

- Advertisement -

Chief Pentagon spokesman said no taxpayer dollars would be used to facilitate the visit and that Hegseth’s participation had been thoroughly vetted and cleared by lawyers, including the . He said it did not violate the Hatch Act or any other applicable federal statute. Earlier Monday, Hegseth was in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where he presided over a before heading to the campaign event.

At the rally, Hegseth went after Massie in unusually direct terms, arguing that Republicans needed a fighter who would vote with Trump when the movement needed unity. “We need reinforcement from Republicans, and that fight requires a Congress full of warriors, including Ed. This one, ladies and gentlemen, is a no-brainer,” he said. He accused Massie of debating process when Trump needed backup, said the congressman was willing to vote with Democrats when the movement needed unity, and said Massie’s instinct was to “throw elbows at fellow Republicans.” He told Kentuckians they could send “a warrior” or “an obstructionist,” adding, “In my mind, it’s an easy choice.”

Gallrein leaned into the unusual nature of the endorsement and the setting. He thanked Hegseth for campaigning on his behalf and told the crowd, “Think about where we are in history right now, and you're having the secretary of war coming here to little old Kentucky to see you today. Is that something? That's something to be proud of. That reflects on you. I can't take credit for that. That reflects on you,” he said. Gallrein also praised Trump’s vision for the military and his peace-through-strength agenda, calling it a matter of national survival.

Massie, a longtime Republican who has often clashed with Trump, has become a prime target in the president’s effort to clear the field for Gallrein, according to the broader campaign dynamic laid out in Trump targets Thomas Massie as Ed Gallrein surges in Kentucky primary. Hegseth spoke at length about Gallrein’s Navy experience, trying to cast him as the better fit for a Republican Party he said needed more soldiers and fewer internal skeptics. The event also underscored how far the administration was willing to go to help in a race that had taken on national significance.

The larger problem for Hegseth is that the outing blurred the line between official power and campaign politics in a way that invited scrutiny even before the votes were counted. By insisting he was acting privately while standing beside a candidate backed by Trump and defended by Pentagon lawyers, he made the campaign trip look both carefully staged and politically loaded. With Kentucky voting Tuesday, the question is not whether Hegseth helped make the race more visible. He did. The question is whether that visibility was enough to move a district where Massie has long had deep roots and where the clash over loyalty to Trump has become the whole contest.

Advertisement
Share This Article