Reading: Millennium Force seat belts too short, causing delays at Cedar Point

Millennium Force seat belts too short, causing delays at Cedar Point

Published
2 min read
Advertisement

Cedar Point is dealing with complaints about the seat belts on after some guests said they could no longer buckle in on the coaster during a visit earlier this month. The park said the belts now on the ride are shorter than the manufacturer’s specifications, and it is working to replace them in the coming weeks.

Park spokesman said on May 16 that the coaster’s manufacturer, , supplies the seat belts for Millennium Force. He said the problem was discovered after the park began fielding concerns on opening day earlier this month, when riders started reporting that the fit felt too snug.

The issue has done more than frustrate guests. It has reportedly slowed the pace of train dispatches, and some riders have been turned away because the belts would not buckle. For a ride that has long been one of the park’s most famous attractions, the malfunction has become hard to ignore.

- Advertisement -

Millennium Force opened in 2000 and quickly became a landmark in coaster history. It was the first roller coaster to top 300 feet, held the longest drop on record at the time, and was then the fastest coaster at 93 mph. More than two decades later, it remains one of Cedar Point’s best-known rides, which is why a seat-belt issue on it has drawn so much attention.

The immediate question is operational, not theoretical: how quickly Cedar Point and Intamin can swap out the belts and get the ride back to normal. Until that happens, some guests will keep running into the same problem at the station, and the park will keep losing time with every train that cannot leave when it should.

Advertisement
Share This Article