Reading: San Diego Islamic Center Shooting: Three Killed in Clairemont Mosque Attack, Two Teen Suspects Dead

San Diego Islamic Center Shooting: Three Killed in Clairemont Mosque Attack, Two Teen Suspects Dead

Published
4 min read
Advertisement

A deadly shooting attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego left three people dead on Monday, May 18, 2026, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime. The attack at the Clairemont Mesa neighborhood mosque — the largest in San Diego County — sent shockwaves across the nation and prompted increased police presence at houses of worship in major cities across the United States.

What Happened at the Islamic Center of San Diego

The San Diego Police Department received reports about a shooting at around 11:40 a.m. At 12:43 p.m., police said the scene was still active but contained. At 1:07 p.m., police confirmed the shooter was neutralized.

San Diego Islamic Center Shooting 1

- Advertisement -

Three people are confirmed dead following a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, police said. The victims were observed out in front as police arrived, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said during a news conference. Police confirmed that a security guard was among those killed.

One victim was a security guard who "played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse," Police Chief Wahl said.

The Two Teen Suspects: What We Know

Two teen suspects were found dead in a car near the mosque. They "appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds," San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said. One of the suspects took a firearm from their parents' home and left a suicide note that contained writings about racial pride, law enforcement officials told CNN.

The pair were 17 and 19 years old. They died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.

Police found the two teenagers dead in a vehicle in the middle of the 3800 block of Hatton Street. San Diego police confirmed five men in total are dead — three people were found dead in front of the Islamic Center, and two teenagers were found dead in the vehicle. One of the victims was confirmed to be a security guard at the Islamic Center.

- Advertisement -

Children and Staff at Islamic Center School Confirmed Safe

Imam Taha Hassane of the Islamic Center of San Diego said all children and staff who were at the mosque are safe. "We are safe," the imam said in a video message posted to the center's social media. "The entire school is safe. All the kids are safe and the teachers are safe."

A spokesperson from the Islamic Center of San Diego confirmed that students at the school and staff are safe and that there is no threat at this time. However, the center remained closed to the public following the attack.

Possible Hate Crime Investigation Underway

Five people are dead after a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, which police are investigating as a possible hate crime. A landscape worker a few blocks away was also shot at, but was not hit by gunfire. The FBI said President Trump has been briefed on the situation.

President Trump described the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego as a "terrible situation" and said he had been briefed. "I've been given some early updates," Trump told reporters at the White House.

San Diego Islamic Center Shooting 3

California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the situation as well, with the Governor's Office of Emergency Services coordinating with local law enforcement throughout the response.

- Advertisement -

National Response: Police Increase Security at Mosques Nationwide

The police departments in New York City, Washington DC, and Los Angeles said they are increasing the police presence at mosques and other houses of worship after the shooting at San Diego's largest mosque. The departments noted that there was no known threat and they were increasing deployments out of an abundance of caution.

The Islamic Center of San Diego is located in the Clairemont Mesa East neighborhood of San Diego, California. It is the largest mosque in the county. Clairemont is roughly eight miles north of downtown San Diego.

According to a witness, a semi-automatic firearm was used. At least two bodies were visible from outside of the mosque on the street. Officers at the scene confirmed there were also multiple injuries.

Muslims throughout the world are observing the second day of Dhu'l-Hijja, which takes place annually in the last month of the Islamic calendar. It is considered one of the holiest months and marks a time when millions of faithful embark on the Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia. The attack falling on this sacred occasion added profound grief to the shock already felt across the Muslim community worldwide.

The investigation is ongoing. The FBI and San Diego Police Department are jointly leading the hate crime inquiry. Authorities are urging the public to avoid the area around the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue in Clairemont as the crime scene investigation continues.

Advertisement
Share This Article