King Charles made his first public appearance since arriving at Balmoral last Tuesday, attending Sunday church at Crathie Kirk near Balmoral with Queen Camilla and the Prince and Princess of Wales. The service turned a quiet summer ritual into the day's clearest royal image, with the family gathering in Scotland while Charles resumed life at his summer residence.
The appearance matters because it was the first time Charles had been seen since he reached Balmoral Castle to begin his summer stay there at the start of the week. He was joined by Prince William, Princess Kate and their three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, along with Princess Anne, Sir Tim Laurence, Prince Edward and Lady Louise, making the outing feel less like a private stop and more like a full family marker of the season.
That timing also gives the moment extra weight. Charles has been in Scotland since the start of the month and had already appeared at the Mey Highland Games, but the church service was the first clear public sighting of him after his arrival at Balmoral. In the same stretch, reports said he was first made aware of Harry and Meghan Markle's plans to relocate to the UK last Sunday, while one royal commentator said it would be extraordinary if those plans had not already been mentioned earlier.
That leaves a small but important gap in the story. Charles, Harry and Meghan Markle are now all part of the same royal conversation, and the family is heading toward another stretch of movement within weeks, not months, as the couple are set to return to British soil by the end of the month and remain private individuals rather than working royals. What is not yet stated is how long Charles will stay at Balmoral after this Sunday gathering, which means the church outing reads as both a public reset and a reminder that the summer schedule is already tightening around him.

