Reading: San Diego Mosque Shooting: Three Killed at Islamic Center, Teen Suspects Dead in Suspected Hate Crime

San Diego Mosque Shooting: Three Killed at Islamic Center, Teen Suspects Dead in Suspected Hate Crime

Published
4 min read
Advertisement

 

What Happened at the Islamic Center of San Diego

At least five people are dead, including two suspected shooters, after the Monday shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego. The three adult victims killed in the attack were a mosque security guard and two staff members of the Islamic school located on the center's grounds. A landscaper working nearby was shot at but was not injured.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said officers arrived within four minutes of a 911 call and found three victims dead outside the Islamic Center. The police chief confirmed the threat had been neutralised around 1:00 PM local time Monday, roughly an hour after reports of an active shooter first reached police.

- Advertisement -

The Warning That Came Two Hours Too Late

At 9:42 AM, the San Diego Police Department received a 911 call from the mother of one of the perpetrators, Cain Clark, stating her son was missing, was suicidal, and was last seen wearing camouflage. She also said her car and several of her firearms were missing.

The mother told police her son had stolen her car along with multiple firearms, including a 9mm handgun, a shotgun, and a Mini-14 rifle. Officers were still with the mother and trying to piece together where her son might be when the attack at the Islamic Center was first reported at 11:43 AM.

Who Were the Suspects — Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez

Two senior law enforcement officials and a federal law enforcement official identified the deceased male shooters as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez, both from San Diego. Clark attended James Madison High School virtually and was set to graduate this month.

Investigators discovered anti-Islamic writing in the BMW where the suspects were found dead. Authorities also reported finding a gas can displaying an SS sticker, a symbol historically associated with Nazi Germany. One of the suspects left behind a suicide note containing references to racial pride, law enforcement officials said.

The Heroic Security Guard Who Saved Lives

One of the three victims killed was a security guard who Police Chief Wahl described as pivotal in preventing far greater bloodshed. "At this point, I think it's fair to say his actions were heroic," Wahl said. "Undoubtedly, he saved lives today." The security guard has been identified as Amin Abdullah.

- Advertisement -

San Diego Mosque Shooting 2

Between 50 and 100 law enforcement officers entered the facility, breaching doors and searching room by room to secure the building. The Islamic Center also houses the Al Rashid Weekend School, which provides Arabic language and Islamic studies instruction. No children were among the victims and all students were safely evacuated.

Investigated as a Hate Crime

Police Chief Wahl said hate rhetoric was involved in the shooting. "We are considering this a hate crime until it's not," Wahl said. The FBI is assisting in the investigation and has committed all necessary resources.

The attack occurred on the first day of Dhul Hijjah, the last and most sacred month of the Islamic calendar — a timing that adds particular gravity to the attack on the Muslim community.

Mayor Todd Gloria and Governor Newsom Respond

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said any person who brings this kind of hate-inspired violence to San Diego will be met with the full force of local law enforcement. "No one in our city should live in fear because of their identity, their faith or their place of learning," he said. "Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego. We will not stand for it."

California Governor Gavin Newsom said he was horrified by the attack. "Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives. Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith. To the San Diego Muslim community: California stands with you."

- Advertisement -

The Islamic Center of San Diego

The Islamic Center of San Diego is located in the Clairemont Mesa East neighbourhood of San Diego, roughly eight miles north of downtown. It opened in 1989 and is the largest mosque in San Diego County. The facility includes the Bright Horizon Academy, formerly the Islamic School of San Diego. The mosque was also the target of an attempted bombing in January 1991 during the Gulf War. The center announced it will remain closed until further notice, calling Monday "an extremely painful and traumatic day for our congregation, students, staff, and the broader San Diego community."

Advertisement
Share This Article