German security services found a secret depot with two pistols near Berlin last year, and the case has since grown into a probe that now points toward a possible Russian intelligence link. The Federal Public Prosecutor's Office is leading the investigation, while domestic media reported on Friday that the weapons may have been planted on behalf of Russian intelligence services.
The detail that has kept the case alive is not just what was found, but how it was handled. Officers disabled the pistols when they reached the site, then left the weapons intact. The location was put under surveillance, but without success, and investigators believe the people behind the cache may have learned of the discovery and stayed away. That is the clearest sign, so far, that the depot was meant to be used later rather than abandoned by accident.
NDR, WDR and the Süddeutsche Zeitung reported that the cache may have been intended for so-called kinetic operations planned by Moscow. That phrase matters because it suggests the depot was not simply a storage point, but a possible part of operational planning. A suspect is said to have been detained in Romania last year, and investigators believe the man may have set up the weapons cache just outside the German capital. Those reports have not been publicly confirmed, but they have framed the inquiry around possible intelligence activity rather than ordinary smuggling or private crime.
The Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution declined to comment on the ongoing investigation and said only: “This does not constitute a statement as to whether the facts described are accurate or not.” That refusal leaves the case in a narrow space between allegation and proof. The suspicion may be serious, but the evidence has not been laid out publicly, and the German authorities are still working through what the depot was for, who placed it there, and who knew about it after it was found.
The Berlin case now sits alongside another security matter drawing scrutiny in Europe. On Friday, a Ukrainian man suspected of being involved in the 2022 Nord Stream pipeline blasts was placed into pre-trial detention in Croatia pending a decision on extradition to Germany, and prosecutors have identified him only as Vladimir Z. Taken together, the two cases underline how Germany is still dealing with investigations that reach across borders, involve possible sabotage, and depend on evidence that remains mostly out of public view.
For now, the unanswered question is not whether the cache existed — it did — but whether investigators can prove who placed it there and whether it was prepared for use by Russian intelligence services. Until that evidence is made public, the Berlin depot remains less a solved case than a warning about how quietly such operations can be hidden in plain sight.

