Vandenberg Space Force Base security police held five reporters and two military members at gunpoint Monday afternoon as they tried to reach an invited ceremony, turning what should have been routine access into a locked-down confrontation that lasted more than 30 minutes. The media convoy was delayed until after the ceremony ended.
The people caught in the response were not strangers trying to slip onto the installation. They were traveling in a government minivan with uniformed public affairs staff as escorts and in private vehicles, and the media members had proper identification and an invitation to cover a golden shovel groundbreaking ceremony tied to the official construction kickoff of the Air Force Air Education and Training Command’s new Sentinel Formal Training Unit.
Tom Bolton, who publicly criticized the security team after the incident, said the base owed apologies to the affected journalists and called the response a failure on multiple levels. He said some members of the Vandenberg security team appeared to be seriously in need of additional training, while the military’s response, in his view, was lacking.
The security response began when at least one member of the 30th Security Forces Squadron raised an alert about gate runners. Multiple members of the squadron then converged after metal barricades were raised to block California Boulevard, and police ordered each vehicle to pull forward with firearms pointed at the group. The drivers and passengers were told to get out one by one with their hands raised; the two military members were handcuffed and placed in base vehicles, while the civilians were told to sit on the curb nearby.
That sequence exposed the central failure in the episode: a convoy that had the right escort, the right identification and the right invitation was still treated as if it were a threat. A Space Launch Delta 30 Public Affairs spokeswoman said the base is seeing an increased number of unauthorized entry attempts, and said there was a breakdown in communication as movement continued before verification. She said every potential unauthorized presence must be treated as a legitimate threat until proven otherwise, but the result was that invited media from Noozhawk, KSBY, News Channel 3, 12 and 11, and the Santa Maria Times/Lompoc Record were held at gunpoint while covering a ceremony they had been asked to attend.
By the time the group was released, the ceremony was over and the chance to cover it had passed. One security forces member later offered an apology for the interaction, but the unanswered question now is narrower and sharper: how a properly escorted convoy on an invited assignment reached the point where security believed it was a gate run.

