Reading: Royce White files for 2027 WNBA Draft, with Matt Gaetz as counsel

Royce White files for 2027 WNBA Draft, with Matt Gaetz as counsel

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

Royce White officially declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft on Monday and sent the notice to the WNBA League office with former U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz signing as his legal counsel. The filing asks the league to confirm receipt within ten business days and to issue a written eligibility determination at its earliest opportunity.

The declaration puts White’s status squarely in front of the WNBA now because the league is being asked to answer a rules question, not just to acknowledge a filing. In the notice, Gaetz wrote that White identifies as a transgender woman and said White meets the language in Article XIII, Section 1(a) of the 2026–2033 Collective Bargaining Agreement, including being at least twenty-two years of age during the calendar year of the Draft and having no remaining intercollegiate eligibility.

White had already telegraphed the move in an Aug. 7 interview with Digital, when he said he would declare for the draft in 2027 and described himself as transgender and a woman. He also said he wanted fair treatment and did not want to be discriminated against, while urging the WNBA to make a clear statement about men playing in women’s sports. He said then that he would still declare even if the league did not respond the way he wanted.

- Advertisement -

That makes the filing more than a routine notice. White is asking to be treated under the same rules he says support his application, while also challenging the league on the broader issue of sex and eligibility in the women’s game. The notice lands in a space where the language of Article XIII matters as much as the politics around it, because the league now has to decide whether to acknowledge the filing as valid and whether White belongs in the draft pool he says he is entering.

The request for a written ruling is the part that leaves the WNBA little room to stay silent. Digital said it had reached out to the league and was awaiting a response, but the next meaningful move belongs to the WNBA: confirm the filing, and either set out White’s eligibility status or explain why it will not. White has already said he wants a fair chance to participate. The league now has to show its hand.

White’s declaration comes after Enes Kanter Freedom said on social media that he would be declaring for the WNBA Draft, adding another layer to an already unusual public challenge. But this filing is the one that forces a formal answer. If the league responds in writing, it will clarify whether White’s notice fits the draft rules he cited. If it does not, the dispute shifts from a filing to a fight over what those rules mean.

Advertisement
Share This Article