Reading: Trump says Military Deployment to Poland will add 5,000 U.S. troops

Trump says Military Deployment to Poland will add 5,000 U.S. troops

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

President said Thursday that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, reversing the recent message from his administration that U.S. force levels in Europe were being cut. He tied the move to Poland’s election of President and said his relationship with him helped drive the decision.

“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. The announcement came after had said it was reducing U.S. levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and after U.S. officials confirmed that about 4,000 service members were no longer deploying to Poland.

The new pledge also sat uneasily beside what Trump and the had been saying for weeks about Germany, where they said at least 5,000 troops would be drawn down. Trump told reporters at the beginning of the month that the U.S. would be “cutting a lot further than 5,000,” a remark that deepened the sense that the administration’s Europe posture was changing quickly and without a settled public explanation.

- Advertisement -

As of last week, some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer en route to Poland, and a deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range missiles was also halted. On Tuesday, chief Pentagon spokesman called the Poland delay “a temporary delay” and said Poland is a “model U.S. ally,” while also saying the Pentagon was reducing the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three.

That shifting line drew sharp criticism from Republican and Democratic lawmakers, who said the reductions sent the wrong signal to allies and to Russian President during the 4-year-old war in Ukraine. Republican Rep. said he had spoken with Polish officials and that they were “blindsided,” calling the episode “reprehensible” and “an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland.”

The new announcement leaves U.S. policy in Europe looking less like a planned military deployment than a series of abrupt turns. On Friday, U.S. defense officials said they were confused by Trump’s latest statement, underscoring how quickly the message has moved from reductions, to delays, to a fresh pledge of added troops. For allies trying to read Washington’s intentions, the next question is not whether the numbers changed, but whether the administration has settled on a strategy at all.

Advertisement
Share This Article