Reading: Guzman Y Gomez exits US market as shares jump 17.9 per cent

Guzman Y Gomez exits US market as shares jump 17.9 per cent

Published
2 min read
Advertisement

abruptly exited the US market on Friday, saying it would shut its Chicago restaurants immediately after failing to meet financial performance hurdles. The Mexican fast-food chain said the retreat would trigger a one-off cost of US$30 million to US$40 million.

Investors shrugged off the exit and pushed Guzman y Gomez shares 17.9 per cent higher after the announcement. The company also said the US withdrawal would not affect its 2025-26 dividend, a signal it wants the market to treat the move as a reset rather than a setback.

The decision came as the broader market firmed, with the S&P/ASX rising 0.5 per cent to 8661.9 at 10.15am AEST. Materials and discretionary stocks also gained, adding to a session that was already leaning positive before the restaurant chain’s news landed.

- Advertisement -

The US pullback is a sharp reversal for a business that had been trying to build a presence in Chicago, and it leaves the company focused on the markets where its model has worked better. For shareholders, the immediate question is no longer whether the US push can be salvaged, but how quickly management can turn the retreat into proof that capital can be redeployed more effectively elsewhere.

The same trading session also brought another hard corporate turn. terminated its $1.5 billion agreement to acquire Singapore-based M1 on Friday, and its shares remained down 60 per cent for the week after Singapore's regulator launched an investigation into its brand over alleged use of unapproved radio waves.

That combination of events gave Friday’s market update a defensive tone beneath the headline gains. Guzman y Gomez was rewarded for moving fast, while Tuas was punished for being caught in regulatory and deal uncertainty at the same time.

Advertisement
Share This Article