Federal authorities charged 15 people in Minnesota on Thursday in connection with fraud schemes that targeted more than $90 million in taxpayer dollars, a sweeping case that reached across seven state-managed Medicaid programs.
Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald said the programs had been systematically pilfered by fraudsters who treated them like their personal piggy bank, underscoring the scale of the losses alleged in the case. The announcement put a number on a fraud investigation that federal officials said cut across health programs meant to serve vulnerable people and relied on state-managed payments funded by taxpayers.
The case comes as investigators continue to search for a suspect who, according to Federal Bureau of Investigations Co-Deputy Director Christopher Raia, jumped out of a fourth-floor balcony window during the inquiry. Raia showed video of the suspect appearing to limp away from the scene. McDonald identified the suspect as Muhammad Omar, who was charged in one of the fraud cases.
The breadth of the indictment makes this more than a routine enforcement action. Seven Medicaid programs were said to have been targeted, and the size of the alleged schemes — more than $90 million — points to a long-running theft that federal officials say drained public money from systems built to provide care. The charges also suggest the investigation is still active, with authorities still working to locate Omar even as they announced the case against the 15 defendants.
For Minnesota, the case is a stark reminder of how quickly public health dollars can be siphoned off when fraud networks move inside programs that are supposed to be tightly controlled. The immediate question now is how much of the money can be recovered and how far the fraud network reached before investigators shut it down.
