Neymar Jr was caught in a bizarre substitution mix-up in Santos's 3-0 loss to Coritiba after match officials signalled the wrong player number in the 65th minute. The fourth official raised the board with Neymar's number 10, Robinho Jr came on to replace him, and the Brazil forward refused to leave the field, earning a yellow card for his reaction.
Neymar said Gonzalo Escobar had been the player meant to go off, then snatched the substitution slip from the official and held it up to television cameras. Santos later said the fourth official got the substitution wrong and added that the mistake was confirmed by the television coverage and by the note used by the officials during the change, calling it an inexplicable error that was not corrected.
The confusion came in a match Santos badly needed to manage better. The club were beaten 3-0 and sat on 18 points from 16 games, leaving them close to the relegation zone. For Neymar, 34, it was another noisy chapter in a season that has been as much about recovery as results. He has scored six goals in 15 appearances for Santos since returning from knee surgery in February, but the latest spotlight was not on his finishing. It was on his refusal to accept a substitution that he believed was aimed at someone else.
The timing matters beyond one fractured moment on the touchline. Neymar has not represented Brazil since October 2023 and has publicly expressed his desire to return to the national team as Carlo Ancelotti prepares to decide who goes to the World Cup squad. The tournament runs from June 11 to July 19 in the United States, Canada and Mexico, and Neymar is still Brazil's leading scorer with 79 goals, two more than Pele. His name remains central to the discussion because of what he has done before and what he is trying to do now after months interrupted by injury.
What happened in Coritiba was not just a sideline dispute. It was a reminder of how little margin Neymar has left as he tries to force his way back into Brazil's plans. One wrong number, one wrong board and one yellow card were enough to turn a routine substitution into a public dispute, and the next judgment that counts will come from Ancelotti, not the fourth official.

