Many Pacific Gas and Electric customers woke up without power on Sunday as planned de-energizations began a little after 5:30 a.m. across Northern California. PG&E said the shutoffs were being used because of critical fire weather, with windy and dry conditions raising the risk of fast-moving flames.
The utility warned that parts of Colusa, Glenn, Tehama, Napa, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Solano and Yolo counties could likely see outages, and said as many as 4,7000 customers across 15 counties could be affected. More outages were possible because PG&E was still monitoring the weather.
Those warnings matter because the outages landed on a day when much of Northern California was already under fire weather pressure, turning the forecast into a direct interruption for homes and businesses. The planned shutoffs were not a surprise; PG&E had previously warned that critical conditions could force it to cut power in parts of several Northern California counties.
The tension now is in the time window ahead. PG&E's public safety power shutoff forecast said Monday could bring more outages, even as the same forecast said there were no longer planned outages on Tuesday. That leaves customers with a short burst of uncertainty, followed by a clearer outlook if the weather does not worsen.
For now, the pge outage is a moving target, shaped by conditions on the ground and by how long windy, dry weather hangs on over Northern California. PG&E said it would keep monitoring the weather, and that is what will decide whether Sunday’s shutoffs remain the main disruption or turn into a longer stretch of outages.
