Two men have been accused of burglary at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in Tottenham, north London, after prosecutors said they broke into a VIP rooftop terrace while Beyoncé was performing to a sold-out crowd.
Alirza Dag, 22, denied the burglary charge when he appeared in the dock at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court on Monday. His co-accused, Murat Kodalakoglu, 23, did not turn up to court. Prosecutors allege the pair broke in on June 16 last year, the final night of six sellout shows at the stadium on Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter world tour, and damaged an electronic keypad used to reach the terrace.
The damage is said to have cost £1,700, and prosecutors claim the two men entered with intent to steal. Dag’s lawyer, Katie McFadden, told the court he had no plan to steal anything. Dag elected for a jury trial after entering his not guilty plea, and his case was sent to Wood Green Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on June 18.
The alleged break-in is said to have involved Lilywhite House, which houses administration offices at Spurs’ £1 billion stadium, and a balcony terrace usually accessible only to senior club executives. The location matters because it places the case inside one of the most restricted parts of the ground, during one of its busiest nights of the year.
Dag was released on unconditional bail until his next hearing. Magistrates adjourned Kodalakoglu’s first hearing until May 27. The case now moves forward in two tracks: one defendant headed for Crown Court, the other due back before magistrates later this month.
