Reading: Trayveon Williams and Commanders injury list grows as Johnny Newton has surgery

Trayveon Williams and Commanders injury list grows as Johnny Newton has surgery

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

As of Friday morning, at least 15 Commanders were recovering from injuries or still trying to work their way back, and Johnny Newton had surgery Wednesday for a pectoral muscle injury. The update landed with the team headed for Detroit on Saturday, turning another quiet camp day into a reminder that the roster is still being pulled in too many directions at once.

Nick Allegretti was one of the few players to offer a small lift in an otherwise heavy week. He returned to practice Tuesday after missing more than three weeks of training camp with a strained calf muscle, called the comeback “Awesome,” then went back to the training room the next day after tightness flared during practice. Medical imaging showed no further damage, but the Commanders will keep him out of the preseason game and reevaluate him Sunday.

That matters because Allegretti was hardly the only player in that limbo. Laremy Tunsil is out indefinitely with a torn triceps. Trey Amos had practiced only once all year after a fractured fibula in November and an ankle sprain shortly after he returned. Marcus Mariota is dealing with a sprained MCL, while Rachaad White, Jeremy McNichols and Jerome Ford are out. Daron Payne, Odafe Oweh and K’Lavon Chaisson are out as well, leaving the Commanders to sort through injuries across the offensive line, quarterback depth, the backfield and the pass rush.

- Advertisement -

Dan Quinn said earlier this week he was optimistic Mariota could be available for Week 1, and he said White was close to returning. That may be true in the narrowest sense, but it does not change the larger picture: this is a team that has spent training camp trying to patch together availability while also trying to make the work more demanding after a 5-12 season. Quinn adjusted the camp routine to ramp up competition and intensity, but the same harder workload has not spared the roster from a long injury ledger.

The friction is that the Commanders are asking players to push harder in August while also trusting a medical staff to bring them back safely, and Quinn acknowledged the risk that comes with that. He said players who have already been injured are at risk for another injury, not necessarily the same one, because the conditioning piece matters so much in a sport built on stopping, starting and speed. That is why the team can sound hopeful about one or two returns and still be staring at at least 15 names on the injury report.

The next checkpoint comes Saturday in Detroit, where the Commanders will have to keep moving forward without several important pieces. After that, Allegretti gets another look Sunday, and the broader question hanging over camp is not whether one injured player can make it back on time, but how much of the roster can be made whole before the season pressure starts to build.

Advertisement
Share This Article