Reading: Wounded In Action: Pentagon says 757 service members hurt since February

Wounded In Action: Pentagon says 757 service members hurt since February

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

The Pentagon said 757 U.S. service members have been wounded since the Iran war began in February, a count that gives the public its clearest measure yet of the conflict’s toll on American troops. More than 580 of the wounded are Army soldiers, with 86 sailors, 64 airmen and 19 Marines also listed.

The new total matters because the military has not said much about how the injuries happened or how badly U.S. bases were hit. Officials have said the vast majority of the cases are traumatic brain injuries, but the Pentagon and U.S. Central Command have offered almost no detail beyond the broad number, even as the fighting has continued to reshape the battlefield around U.S. forces.

The disclosure also follows a change in how the Pentagon tracks war casualties. In late July, it created a new wounded-troops category called Overseas Operations in the Defense Casualty Analysis System and decided that casualties tied to the latest strikes would be classified there. The Pentagon said Operation Epic Fury has concluded, marking a shift in how those injuries will be recorded rather than a fuller explanation of what caused them.

- Advertisement -

That leaves a hard gap in the record. The casualty total is large and now broken out by branch, but the government has still given almost no account of the specific incidents behind the injuries or the damage sustained at bases. The result is a public tally without the operational story that should sit behind it, and the gap matters because the Pentagon has chosen to rename and refile the casualties before it has fully explained them.

Outside the Pentagon’s disclosure, the same week also brought new signs of strain around the Strait of Hormuz, where oil tankers and vessels carrying containers were seen at a standstill on Monday. Donald Trump again threatened Oman as Iran said it was working with the Gulf Arab country on a plan to manage shipping through the waterway, which the United States has said should fully reopen.

The wounded count may not change quickly, but it is already fixed as the clearest public marker of the cost of the war so far. What remains unanswered is not the number. It is what happened to those 757 service members, and why the military is still unwilling to say so in plain terms.

Advertisement
Share This Article