Reading: David Morens pleads guilty in scheme to hide COVID-19 records

David Morens pleads guilty in scheme to hide COVID-19 records

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

David Morens pleaded guilty on August 18, 2026, to one count of conspiracy to commit offenses and to defraud the United States, admitting he took part in a scheme to hide federal COVID-19 records. The 78-year-old former senior adviser at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases now faces up to five years in prison.

The plea put a hard ending, at least for now, to a case that had been moving since his April indictment on five counts. Prosecutors said Morens and two co-conspirators agreed to exchange emails about COVID-19 and its origins through his personal Gmail account instead of his official NIH account, and used that account to share nonpublic information from the NIH and send back-channel information to an unidentified senior NIAID official.

That matters because the records at the center of the case were not ordinary correspondence. The indictment grew out of Freedom of Information Act requests NIAID received between April 2020 and December 2022, asking for communications involving Morens, the New York-based nonprofit and its president. Emails later made public by the GOP-led Select Committee on the Coronavirus Pandemic identified the nonprofit as EcoHealth Alliance and the president as Peter Daszak.

- Advertisement -

Prosecutors also said the Wuhan Institute of Virology received a subaward from the New York group on a coronavirus grant, and that the National Institutes of Health terminated the award in April 2020 after allegations that COVID-19 emerged from the lab. In that setting, using a personal email account was not a clerical choice. It was the mechanism that, prosecutors said, kept federal records out of public view while the COVID-19 pandemic was still unfolding.

The case also carried an awkward human detail that sits beside the legal admission. Court records said Morens received two bottles of wine in June 2020 from one co-conspirator for his behind-the-scenes shenanigans, delivered to his Maryland house, and that the same person emailed him offering more items of value, including a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant. Morens’ lawyer, Tim Belevetz, said after the plea that he had taken responsibility for what he did and would continue to do so.

What comes next is sentencing, and that is where the real remaining question lies. The plea fixes guilt on one count, but it does not settle how much punishment Morens will receive. For a man who spent years inside NIAID’s Office of the Director, from 2006 to 2022, the answer now rests with the court, not the records he tried to keep hidden.

Advertisement
Share This Article