Reading: Wrexham-linked play-off fallout as Southampton expelled and Middlesbrough reinstated

Wrexham-linked play-off fallout as Southampton expelled and Middlesbrough reinstated

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

were thrown out of the Championship play-offs on Tuesday after an appeal failed to overturn a disciplinary ruling that found the club had run spying missions on opposition training sessions. were reinstated to face in Saturday’s final after the independent commission backed the EFL’s decision.

The case centers on a covert operation tied to matches against Middlesbrough, and , and it now leaves Southampton to start next season on minus four points in the Championship. The club had argued that the spying was not worthy of a sporting sanction, but the commission said the conduct went to the heart of the competition.

At the center of the findings was , who the commission said authorized a spying mission before Southampton’s first-leg match against Middlesbrough and an earlier one before the match against Oxford in December. Eckert said he had instructed observations of Oxford’s training to assess planned formations, and said he sent to Middlesbrough to check on the availability of an unnamed key player. Salt was pictured by Middlesbrough staff observing 48 hours before the teams met at the Riverside on May 9.

- Advertisement -

Southampton later accepted that video footage had been captured and shared after initially saying the opposite was not the case. The commission said the club’s response, first given to the EFL on May 8, contained inaccurate information. It also said the club had used junior staff in a morally wrong and clandestine way, with personnel put in vulnerable positions by senior figures directing the work.

In its written assessment published on Thursday evening, the commission described the conduct as “a contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage in competitions of real significance by deliberate attendance at opposition training grounds for the purpose of obtaining tactical and selection information.” It added that the integrity of the play-offs was seriously violated, and said the matter involved far more than innocent activity. The commission also said it was inherent in having information an opponent would wish to keep private that a sporting advantage is gained.

The punishment was reduced after Southampton accepted the charges. The commission said the full set of offences amounted to six points, but that total was cut to four because of the club’s acceptance. Two of the other spying missions, ahead of matches against Oxford and Ipswich in April, were each said to be worthy of a three-point deduction. The EFL had argued that the actions seriously violated the integrity of the play-offs, while Southampton maintained the behaviour should not bring a sporting penalty.

Middlesbrough now go into Saturday’s final against Hull City with the place Southampton had expected to contest. For Wrexham, and for clubs and supporters watching the promotion race closely, the ruling is another reminder that the margins around the play-offs can be decided well before a ball is kicked.

If you want the broader backdrop to the club’s rise and reset, see : Wrexham's rise, reset and the story behind it. And for another recent city-centre football story, Wrexham News: Heavy police presence in city centre as incident continues.

Advertisement
Share This Article