Reading: Andrea Kimi Antonelli told no on Nordschleife permit as Verstappen weighs return

Andrea Kimi Antonelli told no on Nordschleife permit as Verstappen weighs return

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

wants to chase a Nordschleife permit by the end of the year, but is not ready to let him try. Deputy team principal said the 19-year-old would not be allowed to pursue the Nordschleife Permit anytime soon, brushing off the idea with a blunt “No” when asked if the team would permit it in 2025.

Lord said he had spoken to Antonelli and thought the driver had been joking when he raised the idea, adding that the teenager could perhaps “give it a try after four world championships.” He also said might have “a bit more range thanks to his experience” than Antonelli, a pointed line in a paddock where both drivers have been linked with the lure of endurance racing.

Antonelli has been open about that pull. A few months before May 18, 2026, he said he had always been drawn toward GT racing and that his interest was shaped by his father, Marco Antonelli. He said, “That would be super cool,” when asked about doing an endurance race with Verstappen, and added, “I would love to do an endurance race with Max, together.” He called the idea “pretty awesome” and said, “It’s cool because we both have the passion for GTs. On my side it came from my dad with the GT team, and occasionally I go and test when I can.”

- Advertisement -

The backdrop is the Nürburgring 24 Hours, where Verstappen, , and Dani Juncadella led by around 30 seconds with just over three hours remaining before a broken driveshaft ended their run. The car was forced off the track, cutting short a performance that had put them in control deep into the race. After his Sunday morning stint, Verstappen said, “It was good,” and described the run as a chance to stay safe while keeping pace and avoiding trouble. “The competition, endurance style racing with team-mates … a 24 hour race, especially here, is super challenging,” he said.

That appearance carried weight beyond the result. Nürburgring 24 Hours organizers reported record attendance and said weekend tickets sold out for the first time ever, a sign of how much attention Verstappen’s start drew to the event. Verstappen said the race had “been on my bucket list for a long time” and added, “I will for sure try. It always depends a bit on my calendar.”

For now, the message to Antonelli is clear: Mercedes is not in a hurry to send him to the Green Hell. The more immediate reality is that the teenager can admire the route Verstappen is taking while waiting for his own turn, and that turn may not come until much later than he wants.

Advertisement
Share This Article