Reading: Sam Pang confirms Logies exit after three years as host

Sam Pang confirms Logies exit after three years as host

Published
3 min read
Advertisement

has confirmed he will not return to host the in August, turning down an approach from to front the 66th awards on Sunday, August 16. After three years in the role, Pang said he was stepping aside on good terms and expects someone else to take the mic.

“I’ve had three great years, and it was wonderful, but I’m just not going to do it this year,” Pang said. “It was very amicable.” He added that he thought three years was “a nice number” and said, “I’m well aware I may never do it again, and whoever does it I’m sure will do a great job, but I just thought three was a nice number.”

The decision ends a run that paid off for Seven. Pang’s stint helped draw big ratings for the broadcaster, with the 2025 Logies averaging 1.43 million viewers, the highest audience since 2012. His tenure also marked the first time the awards were hosted by a non-white male, after the Logies returned to using an MC instead of relying on a rotating set of presenters.

- Advertisement -

The Logies are going through a broader overhaul this year. has taken over from as producer, and the judging criteria have also been changed after feedback from last year’s event. A venue has not yet been publicly confirmed, even though Sydney has hosted the awards at The Star for the past three years. Before that, the Logies were held on the Gold Coast from 2018 to 2022, after the move from Melbourne that came when Seven replaced as the awards’ broadcaster.

Pang said he was relaxed about missing the 2025 show, and even had ideas about who should get the job next. “Let’s be honest, it’s just great to have an Asian on Channel Seven who isn’t trying to smuggle live birds through border security,” he said, adding that he would love to see and host as a double act. “Or there’s lots of people that could do it, and I’m sure they’ll find a great one.”

For Pang, the next few weeks will be busy anyway. He is due to appear in the ABC’s upcoming comedy Ground Up later this month, and when the Logies are held he said he will be happy to watch from the room instead of the stage. “I’ll just get to sit at the table and enjoy it,” he said. “If any of the shows I’m on are nominated … and I’ll be able to enjoy the night from a different angle.”

That leaves Seven with a well-liked opening to fill at a show that has already been reshaped in several ways. Pang’s departure closes a successful chapter for the Logies, but the ratings, the format changes and the unresolved venue all point to a ceremony still trying to settle on what it wants to be next.

Advertisement
Share This Article