Sonny Aljofree has announced his departure from Manchester United with an emotional farewell on Instagram, bringing an end to a 14-year spell at the club. The 21-year-old said United had been his “second home” and wrote that he had grown “from a boy to man” there.
Aljofree thanked the staff, players and “everybody who has helped” him during his time at Old Trafford, saying he had made “brothers for life” and wishing everyone at the club “the absolute best.” He also said he was ready to keep growing “as a person and as a player” and ended his message with: “Once a red, always a red.”
His post drew a swift response from several of United’s young players. Kobbie Mainoo commented “All the best bro,” while Harry Amass wrote “Good luck, bro.” Diego Leon added “The best for you, hermano,” Shea Lacey posted “All the best my brother,” and Toby Collyer left a red love heart emoji.
The farewell comes after a season in which Aljofree has been largely away from the first-team picture. He has not made a senior appearance for United this season, though he was called up to first-team training in April and worked with the squad before the club’s 2-1 Premier League win over Brentford. Head coach Michael Carrick did not include him in the matchday squad for that game.
Aljofree’s exit also follows two loan spells that kept him away from the academy environment for most of the last two seasons. He spent last season at Accrington Stanley, making 27 appearances in all competitions and scoring three goals, before joining Notts County for the first half of this season. He made 11 appearances there and scored once before returning to United in the January transfer window.
With the Premier League season due to end on Sunday at Brighton, his announcement arrives as Manchester United begins to look toward a summer that could bring a number of departures and new signings. For Aljofree, the message suggests a move away from the club he joined as a child and a fresh start after 14 years in Manchester.

