San Diego city leaders are set to debate Mayor Todd Gloria’s revised budget proposal on Monday, giving residents one final chance to weigh in before a final vote next month. The plan has reopened a familiar fight over what the city should protect first — public safety, roads, housing and homelessness, or the arts programs that many neighborhoods rely on.
Gloria said last week that he was restoring some previously planned cuts to library and recreation center hours, but he is still pressing ahead with a budget that would slash city grants for arts and culture programs by nearly 85%. That means funding would fall from roughly $13.8 million to about $2 million, a reduction that arts leaders say would be felt far beyond downtown and Balboa Park.
“We have to be very specific and focus on the priorities of San Diegans, and that is keeping people safe, preparing our roads, housing our homeless, and building more homes that people can afford,” Gloria said last week. His argument is that the city has limited money and must direct it to core services first. Arts advocates counter that the cuts would hit neighborhood festivals, theater productions and free dance, music and educational programs that many communities use year-round.
The fight matters now because the proposed budget is moving through its final public stage. Monday’s hearing is the last scheduled opportunity for residents to push back before city leaders move closer to a final vote next month. At the same time, arts organizations are warning that the loss of city money would force them to shrink their own operations, reducing the very programming the city says it wants to preserve in neighborhoods.
“Any arts and culture organization in this city facing cuts in their city funding is going to have to turn around and make cuts in their own operation,” one arts supporter said during a recent budget discussion. “Probably the first thing to go are going to be programs and community services that are free.”
The budget fight is unfolding alongside a separate problem for Balboa Park museums, where leaders say tourism and foot traffic are down an average of 34% since paid parking meters were installed earlier this year. Some organizations estimate museums and arts institutions in the park could collectively lose nearly $10 million this year if attendance keeps falling. Critics say the city’s funding cuts and the parking decline could combine to ripple through San Diego’s tourism economy, hurting nearby restaurants, small businesses and community events.
That leaves city leaders facing a sharp choice: protect the programs that bring people into neighborhoods and parks, or keep tightening spending around the priorities Gloria has put at the center of the budget. Next month’s vote will show which side wins, but the immediate impact is already clear for arts groups that say they cannot absorb a cut that deep without changing what they offer the public.

